Thursday, August 24, 2006

The Blogger Paradox

Why do bloggers feel it necessary to share every mundane detail of their lives? I can tell you personally, I don't care. I can assure you, anyone reading my blog also does not care. My opinion is that the blog should provide the reader with something funny, something creative, or something informative...anything pertaining to the dietary habits of the writer's pets does not qualify. Why do bloggers expect the reader to care about what they are writing??

Here's the paradox...I expect people to care because the posts I write are based on events that would (i think) make normal people laugh, cry, or curse out loud. But, chances are the reader still won't care, and I'm simply trapped in a circle of stupidity here. I suppose there's no point to my writing this, only that I haven't written in a while and needed to throw something down. Now for a quick question...

I encourage comments on this one because I want to know the proper etiquette. You call a friend for his/her birthday. The friend does not pick up, so you leave a message. Two weeks pass by, and you still haven't heard back from that friend, so you contact his/her significant other to find out whether your friend did indeed receive your message. The significant other said that he/she did receive the message, and nothing else is acknowledged. Is it wrong to give this situation a 'WTF' reaction? A birthday congratulation is a nice gesture, no? And nice gestures should generally be recognized, right? And I'm not talking about the whole vanity issue of not being able to do a good deed unless it's recognized. It's not like i'm donating $1 million to charity, i'm just calling a friend for a b-day...and I would return said friend's call if the situation were reversed. Maybe i'm just bitter...I am hungry, afterall. I'm going to eat now, maybe that will soak up the salt.

3 Comments:

Blogger rabifettig said...

I've had "friends" like that in the past. The only acceptable response is to give your "friend" a cleat to the genitals, and flush the significant other's head down the toilet. I promise you, this approach will end all ambiguity in your relationship.

8:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if I were you, I would wait two more weeks, call the friend again, and wish them a happy birthday exactly one month after the actualy birthday. Pretend like the first call never happened, like this is their actualy birthday. It will confuse the heck out of them, especially if you vehemently deny the first call.

10:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, thank god my birthday's in January or else I would've though you were talking about me.

Oh shit.

Yeah, I meant to call you and say thanks, it's just been a busy year so far and, uh, my phone got stolen.

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home